Here at Zeo, we get frequent love notes on how comfortably Zeo measures brainwaves (aw, shucks).
We also get frequent notes–often attached to the first one–requesting direct access to those brainwaves.
Well, the wait is over. We’re done playing hard-to-get.
Today, we’re proud to release an alpha version of the Zeo Raw Data Library!
Where does this come from?
Remember everyone’s favorite Zeo-hacker-turned-intern, Brian?
This summer, Brian produced two amazing projects for Zeo: the first - the Zeo Data Decoder – allows you to get at your sleep data without uploading it. The second (the main course, if you will) is the Zeo Raw Data Library.
Use Your Brain
The Zeo Raw Data Library uses the serial port on the back of Zeo (you were wondering about that unused port, weren’t you) to pump out two very cool things:
- Your sleep phase in real time (Wake, REM, Light, Deep every 30 seconds)
- Your brainwaves!
We hope developers will use the Raw Data Library for cool applications. Need some ideas?
- Build a lucid dreaming application that triggers a light or sound when a user enters REM sleep.
- Wake yourself during REM in the middle of the night and keep a sweet sleep journal.
- Use brainwaves for cool Brain Computer Interface projects while you are awake. For inspiration check out interAxon.
- Visualize your brainwaves while awake for bio-feedback applications like concentration or relaxation.
How do I get my hands on it?!?
Calm down and step away from the brainwave detector…
You can get the documentation, the library to read the RDL, and an example sleep stage and brainwave visualizer over on sourceforge. Yup; we decided to open source all of that stuff, so feel free to hack/modify to your needs (and share if you like!). The special firmware (2.6.3R) needed to run the RDL is over here after you fill out a simple form.
We encourage people who are using the RDL to jump on the forums and discuss it. People are already using the RDL to optimize polyphasic sleep naps and help them lucid dream with Zeo. Please use the forums for support and also feel free to email us at DeveloperRelations@myZeo.com. We’ll also do our best to help troubleshoot, but remember that this is an alpha release so there may be bugs.
The Future is Open Wide
We released the Zeo Raw Data Library because
- It’s your data–we want you to be free to use it any way you like
- We are really excited to see what people develop that ends up helping others get a better night’s rest
Please let us know what you think in the comments on on the forums. Hack away!Ben (ZQ: 75) is one of the co-founders of Zeo and company CTO. He’s passionate about keeping Zeo at the forefront of wireless technology, and about giving users control over their data.